Category Archives: Filing for Divorce

Wyoming Clerk of District Court

Addresses and telephone numbers for the Clerk of District Court in each Wyoming county. The District Court Clerk is the keeper of all records for divorce papers, adoptions, child custody cases, child support, name changes, probates and guardianships.

Below is a table of the Clerks of District Court for each county in Wyoming

Albany(307) 721-2508P.O. Box 1106
Laramie, Wyoming 82070
Albany Clerk2nd
Big Horn(307) 568-2381P.O. Box 670
Basin, Wyoming 82410-0670
Big Horn Clerk5th
Campbell(307) 682-3424P.O. Box 817
Gillette, Wyoming 82717
Campbell Clerk6th
Carbon(307) 328-2628P.O. Box 67
Rawlins, Wyoming 82301
Carbon Clerk2nd
Converse(307) 358-3165107 North 5th St
Douglas, Wyoming 82633
Converse Clerk8th
Crook(307) 283-2523P.O. Box 406
Sundance, Wyoming 82729
Converse Clerk6th
Fremont(307) 332-1134P.O. Box 370
Lander, Wyoming 82520
Fremont Clerk9th
Goshen(307) 532-2155P.O. Box 818
Torrington, Wyoming 82240
Goshen Clerk8th
Hot Springs(307) 864-3323415 Arapahoe
Thermopolis, Wyoming 82443
Hot Springs Clerk5th
Johnson(307) 684-7271620 W. Fetterman, Ste. 208
Buffalo, Wyoming 82834
Johnson Clerk4th
Laramie(307) 633-4270P.O. Box 787
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82003
Laramie Clerk1st
Lincoln(307) 877-3320925 Sage Avenue
Kemmerer, Wyoming 83101
Lincoln Clerk3rd
Natrona(307) 235-9243115 N. Center St., Suite 100
Casper, Wyoming 82601
Natrona Clerk7th
Niobrara(307) 334-2736P.O. Box 1318
Lusk, Wyoming 82225
Niobrara Clerk8th
Park(307) 527-8690P.O. Box 1960
Cody, Wyoming 82414-1960
Park Clerk5th
Platte(307) 322-3857P.O. Box 158
Wheatland, Wyoming 82201
Platte Clerk8th
Sheridan(307) 674-2960224 S. Main Street, Suite B11
Sheridan, Wyoming 82801
Sheridan Clerk4th
Sublette(307) 367-4376P.O. Box 764
Pinedale, Wyoming 82941
Sublette Clerk9th
Sweetwater(307) 872-6448P.O. Box 430
Green River, WY 82935
Sweetwater Clerk3rd
Teton(307) 733-2533P.O. Box 4460
Jackson, Wyoming 83001
Teton Clerk9th
Uinta(307) 783-0456P.O. Box 1906
Evanston, Wyoming 82931
Uinta Clerk3rd
Washakie(307) 347-4821P.O. Box 862
Worland, Wyoming 82401
Washakie Clerk5th
Weston(307) 746-47781 West Main
Newcastle, Wyoming 82701
Weston Clerk6th
Clerk of District Court

Weston County Courthouse

Whenever you are requesting documents, or inquiring about a case, be sure to have the names of the Parties, as well as the docket number, available to get the fastest service.

Whenever you want a Judge to do something on your divorce, child custody or child support case, you have to file the papers with the Clerk of District Court, not with the Judge.

What can I file with the Clerk of District Court?

Some of the things you should consider filing yourself are notices of a:

  • change in your address,
  • change in your employment, and
  • change of your name.

You may also consider filing a request for child support abatement.  This is a little more complicated,  but many people do it successfully without the help of an attorney.

Finally, you could file a Motion for an Order to Show Cause when your ex does not follow the Court’s orders.

By Steve Harton

Steve Harton is a family law attorney in Wyoming.

photo by:

Four Things to Do Before Filing for Divorce

Four Things to DoThere are four things you should do before filing for divorce.  You should also do these four things if you think your husband or wife may be planning to divorce you.

  1. Copy your financial information
  2. Video record your possessions
  3. Get some legal advice
  4. Stash some cash

Copy your financial records

Make a photocopy of the financial records of you and your spouse.

You want to do this, because you may lose access to the house, and then you can’t get at the documents.  Paperwork also tends to “disappear” during the divorce process.

Copy the following things for sure:

  • Tax returns and W-2’s for the last five years
  • Recent pay stubs, showing at least a full month of earnings (and deductions)
  • 401k, IRA and retirement account statements
  • Brokerage account statement
  • Mortgage payment statement
  • Car payment statements
  • All bank account statements for the last three months

You may also want to make copies of the following:

  • Titles to cars, motorcycles, boats, trailers, etc.
  • Recent credit card statements
  • Student loan account statements

By making copies of these things, you will not be looking for them during the divorce.  The paperwork will not disappear. And you will not be trying to get them from your spouse through the expensive legal discovery process.

Video record your possessions

You should make a record of the “things” you have before filing for divorce.  It is a lot easier to prove that you had something, if you can see it on a video recording.

Everyone (almost) has a smartphone nowdays.  Just take your iPhone, your Galaxy or whatever, and make a movie of your things.  Walk around the house, and narrate the video by describing what you see.

For instance, open up your wife’s jewelry case, and describe the necklaces, rings, etc.  Or go in the garage, open up the toolbox drawers, and say “Here are my husband’s tools.” Go to the shelves or cabinets and say “Here is my husband’s DeWalt saw, and here is another saw, and the air compressor. ”

Video the Trek mountain bike with the full suspension.  Open up the gun safe and video each firearm.  You get the idea.

Get some legal advice

Talk to a lawyer before you file for divorce.  Call a lawyer, tell them you are thinking of filing for divorce, and you would like to get a consultation.

If the lawyer says that they charge for such a consultation, that’s great.  You want legal advice for your specific situation.  Advice costs money.

Free consultations are sales pitches, where the lawyer talks about him or herself.  This is not about them, it is about you.  Pay someone to advise you.

Stash some cash

You are going to need money when you are filing for a divorce.  This is especially important if your husband or wife makes the most money and/or controls most of the finances. You will need money to:

  • Hire a divorce lawyer
  • Pay the rent or mortgage if you stay in the house
  • Pay the deposit and first months rent on your new place
  • Pay your bills
  • Eat
  • Live

Go ahead and take money from joint accounts.  It’s OK, it is your money too.  (Just don’t leave your spouse penniless, because you will look like a jerk).

If you do not have money in your accounts, take out a cash advance on your credit cards.  Take out personal loan.  Use a car or other vehicle as collateral.

Just get some cash money.  It will be a lot harder to get some once the divorce starts.  Your accounts may be frozen, or your spouse might clean out your accounts.

So copy your financials, video your things, get some legal advice and stash some cash.  Doing these four things will get you more prepared for your divorce.

By Steve Harton